BSDK 6: Sandakan City & Mangrove Fireflies
Sandakan is the second largest town in the state of Sabah. Sandakan is steeped in history and has a mixture of people, lifestyles, cultures and faiths. Join us and explore the various landmarks of what makes Sandakan such a unique place. These may include
- Australian War Memorial: It is dedicated to some 2700 Australian POW who died at
the Sandakan POW camp and in the ensuing death marches through the jungles of
- Sandakan Central Market: the most amazing variety of fresh seafood and agricultural
- Sim-Sim Water Village: where houses are all built close to the water surface, which at
that time was a narrow, uninhabited coastal fringe of jungle and mangroves.
- Puh Jih Shih Buddhist Temple: this landmark offers a breath taking view over Sandakan
- Agnes Keith House: where a famous American writer of the “Land below the Wind” and
“White Man Returns”, today the house turned into a heritage house providing interesting
insight to life during British North Borneo.
- Sandakan Heritage Museum: Situated on the ground floor and 1st floor of Wisma Warisan Building, which is situated next to Sandakan Municipal Building. Sandakan Bus Terminus is only a kilometre away from the museum while the airport is 10 kilometres away from the public attraction. Pre war and post war history of Sandakan are exhibited on the first floor. The ground floor of the museum has a gallery that showcases photographs of Osa Johnson and Martin Johnson. The gallery is named ‘Safari in Sandakan’ and the photos displayed there show legacy of North Borneo under British collonial rule.
- Entrance fee where applicable
- Tour guide
- Transportation – land
- Meals as stated in itinerary
- Joining basis (SIC)
- All airfares & airport taxes
- Camera & video fees where applicable
- Alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
- Tips, portage & items not stated
IncludedEntrance FeeMeals as statedTour GuideTransportations
Not Included2 River cruises & 1 Night WalkAccommodationClimbing PermitJoining Basis (SIC)Non-Private Basis;River Cruise ( if weather permitted )River cruises|1 Jungle Trek|2 Night Walks
Sandakan City Tour & Mangrove Fireflies
- 09:00 Meet & greet from Sandakan airport or hotel lobby within town area
- Explore various landmarks of Sandakan. These may include:
- Lunch or tea break at a local restaurant.
- Arrival at Pangkalan B&B
- Local village games. One of the reason we created this game is to share memories with our guests together with the village kids.
- Explore village
- Nature cruise
- 18:00 Continue our cruise to Pamaguan Island to enjoy a sunset view from the island (if weather permits)
- Coconut water (complimentary) will be served. We will spend about 15 - 20 minutes at the island
- Back to river cruise in search of fireflies along the mangrove trees nearby the riverbank.
- Dinner / back to hotel
- This tour package is for a minimum of 2 adults
- Private Tour: Additional 30% from the above rates
- Single Traveler: Additional 50% from the above rates
- Child (11 years old and below) 30% off
Recommended things to bring
- Small bag or backpack
- Lightweight clothing or cotton shirts / long sleeves
- Walking shoes
- Rain coat / Poncho
- Insect repellent
- Camera (camera fee excluded)
- Personal toiletries