BSDK 3: Selingan Turtle Island (1N)
The Selingan Turtle Island is an amazing experience.
Selingan is one of the three islands of the Turtle Island Park, which lies 40 km north of Sandakan. Selingan is the second largest among the clusters of islands and is the main nesting area for green and hawksbill turtles. These areas are protected for conservation and preservation of turtles and other marine animal.
As turtles usually come ashore after dusk, we highly recommend at least, an overnight stay. Selingan Island contains the park’s headquarters, a visitor’s information centre, accommodation with basic facilities and a turtle hatchery. For protection of the environment and wildlife purposes, only a maximum of 60 visitors can stay overnight at any one time at Selingan Island. Be sure to make your reservation early!
Watch this amazing video which we think is perfect for educational purposes. Behold the turtle!
Note: Video cameras are not permitted at the Selingan Turtle Island.
- 1 night stay in a chalet room in Selingan Island
- Entrance fee where applicable
- Tour guide
- Transportation – land & boat transfers
- Meals as stated in itinerary
- All airfares & airport taxes
- Camera & video fees where applicable
- Alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
- Tips, portage & items not stated
Departure Time0800 am
Return Time0700 am
IncludedAccommodationEntrance FeeMeals as statedNon-Private Basis;Tour GuideTransportations
Not Included2 River cruises & 1 Night WalkClimbing PermitJoining Basis (SIC)River Cruise ( if weather permitted )River cruises|1 Jungle Trek|2 Night Walks
Day 1: Selingan Island
- 08:00 - 08:45 Meet & greet from Sandakan airport or hotel lobby within town area. Head off to jetty for 1 hour boat journey to Selingan Island.
- The boat will depart at 10:45, hence, the pick up time will be at 10:00-10:15hrs.
- Upon arrival on the island, check-in at the chalet and lunch at Selingan Cafeteria (lunch provided as part of tour package). The afternoon is spent free at your own leisure. You can swim or snorkel around the island or simply relax on its white sandy beach.
- After dinner (provided as part of tour package), Park Rangers will guide you out to observe the process of turtle laying eggs, transfer of eggs to the hatchery and release of turtle hatchlings back to the sea.
- Return to your chalets for a good night sleep.
Day 2: Back to Sandakan
- Breakfast (provided as part of tour package)
- 07:00 Departure from Selingan Island back to Sandakan Airport or hotel (town area only)
- This tour package is for a minimum of 2 adults
- Private Tour: Additional 30% from the above rates
- Single Traveler: Additional 50% from the above rates
- Child (11 years old and below) 30% off
- Monsoon Season (Thunder Storm/Strong Winds/Rough Sea Condition/heavily rain & etc. ): Nov - Mar
- Nesting /laying egg season: Turtles come to shore throughout the year to lay their eggs. However, the peak season/hatchlings season is between July – October. The turtles can come as early as 7pm or as late at 3am and have also been seen nesting in the early hours of the morning between 5 - 6am.
- When to go: July – October when the seas are calmer and the tourist peak season starts on April - August so please book it in advance (3 - 6 months before). The best time to visit however during the driest month and the calmest seas between the months of March September.
Recommended things to bring
- 2 Days Clothing with a small bag or backpack
- Lightweight clothing or cotton shirts / long sleeves
- Walking shoes
- Rain coat / Poncho
- Insect repellent
- Camera (camera fee excluded)
- Personal toiletries