Sabah Borneo Wildlife Volunteering Programme
- Carry out habitat restoration at the Lower Kinabatangan floodplains where flora and fauna are abundant but threatened by diminishing habitat;
- Conduct wildlife population density data gathering under the auspices of the Sabah
- Observe and appreciate the orang-utans, pygmy elephants, bornean sun bear and other endangered species, understand their life cycles and the intricate biodiversity roles;
- Work with the local community and students in conservation;
- Raise awareness on responsible living and travelling among tourists, local community and students;
- Understand the threats to habitat and wildlife and to make a personal impact, bringing
Note: Programmes are subject to change depending on community and/or school calendar.
Duration & Programme Dates
12 days: January – December, starts 21st of each month, ends 12 days later
- This project takes place in a little village within a beautiful wildlife sanctuary along the
Kinabatangan River, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.
- You will live within the community of the village, dine with the gentle Orang Sungai or
“People of the River” and wake up to the sounds of the rainforest. You will help in the
restoration of wildlife habitat and contribute towards the environmental education of the
local school children while on this programme.
- The entry point to the Lower Kinabatangan is the quaint town of Sandakan, approximately 30 minutes by flight and 6-8 hours overland from Kota Kinabalu, state capital of Sabah. You can also get direct flights into Lumpur.
Day 1 : (D) Arrival & Welcome Sandakan Airport (SDK)
- Please ensure you have provided us with the correct flight details.
- Meet at airport for transfer to twin share accommodation.
- 1800 hours – Welcome dinner and briefing. Please check with receptionist to confirm meeting time.
Day 2 : (meal allowance) Orientation
- In the morning, you will go into town for shopping. After lunch, transfer to BSBCC and SEPILOK where your project coordinator will take you on a short orientation. You will be given a thorough health and safety talk, a tour of the centre and then will start work.
Day 3 – Day 13 : (meal allowance) Project Days
- Working hours at BSBCC and SEPILOK: 0800 hours – 1700 hours
- Weekends / Days off: Sometimes weekends are given as off days but subject to change according to project requirement. A total of 6 off days will be allocated throughout this part of the project which may be combined subject to discussion with your project coordinator and consensus with other participants but subject to the agreement of the centre. You may choose to explore other parts of Sandakan at your own expense or stay at the volunteer accommodation.
Day 14 : (B) Departure
- Check out and transfer to Sandakan Airport.
- Note: Changes to the activities will occur subject to weather conditions, school calendar, community and project requirements. Some or all of the activities mentioned may or may not be included on your itinerary. Other activities not mentioned above may also be included on your itinerary subject to weather conditions, community and project requirements.