BSDK 5: Gomantong Caves & Kinabatangan Day Trip
This day trip (BSDK 5) tour package includes two (2) destinations:
- Gomantong Caves
- Kinabatangan River
Enter the incredible Gomantong Caves in search of bats and deadly creepy crawlies!
Located in the heartland of the Gomantong Rainforest Reserve, the Gomantong Caves have been the focus for birds’ nests harvesting for many centuries.
Your exciting cave journey will begin with a wooden walkway at the back of the ticket building which leads into the Gomantong Rainforest Reserve. Embrace the greenery surrounding you!
The main cave is divided into two sections:
- Simud Hitam (The Black Cave)
- Simud Putih (The White Cave)
The names refer to the main type of nests produced by swiftlets in each cave. The caves measure about 30 meters wide and about 100 meters high. As you stroll along the walkway, you you will come across a cave stream.
Psst…. Look closely into the water, and tell us what you see! Fascinating, isn’t?
If you happen to see birds’ nests harvesters at work inside the caves, spend some time to observe their work in action. It is absolutely worth watching, we don’t think you’ll get to see this very often!
In the evenings, more than 2 million bats spiral out to feed. As the bats leave, swiftlets are usually beginning to make their way back into the caves after a day’s foraging. It’s absolutely stunning to watch, but depending on weather and rain, it may be a no show!
Don’t say we didn’t tell you these:
- The caves are full of Guano (Bats’ dungs) and it smells.
- Grounds of the caves can get slippery, so proper walking shoes are highly recommended.
- Photographers, we’re no Pro in this area, but we know that cave photography is no easy task!
This tour package will be followed by another exciting venture, a cruise along the Kinabatangan River!
The Kinabatangan River (Malay: Sungai Kinabatangan; pronounced: Soong-ngy Keen-nah-but-tungan) is the second longest river in Malaysia, with a length of 560 kilometers.
Kinabatangan is known for its remarkable wildlife and fascinating habitats. This wonderful journey of wildlife discovery starts from the waters of Sulu Sea cruising through a magnificent scenery of the mangrove forest. You will be cruising down the river in search of primates especially the endemic proboscis monkeys, birds and other wildlife.
- Entrance fee where applicable
- Tour guide
- Transportation – land
- 1 afternoon cruise
- Meals as stated in itinerary
- Joining basis (SIC)
- All airfares & airport taxes
- Camera & video fees where applicable
- Alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
- Tips, portage & items not stated
*No refunds shall be made if the boat cruise cancels due to bad weather conditions.
Departure Time1200 pm
Return Time2100 pm
IncludedEntrance FeeJoining Basis (SIC)Meals as statedRiver Cruise ( if weather permitted )Tour GuideTransportations
Not Included2 River cruises & 1 Night WalkAccommodationClimbing PermitNon-Private Basis;River cruises|1 Jungle Trek|2 Night Walks
Gomantong Caves & Kinabatangan Day Trip
- 10:30 Meet & greet from Sandakan airport or hotel lobby within town area.
- 1.5 hours drive to Gomantong Caves
- Lunch at a local restaurant (provided as part of tour package)
- Proceed to Kinabatangan River
- 16:00 Cruise along Kinabatangan River in search for some of the primate species including the endemic Proboscis Monkey, birds and others wildlife.
- Travel back to Sandakan Airport or your respective hotel
- This tour package is for a minimum of 2 adults
- Private Tour: Additional 30% from the above rates
- Single Traveler: Additional 50% from the above rates
- Child (11 years old and below) 30% off
Recommended things to bring
- Small bag or backpack
- Lightweight clothing or cotton shirts / long sleeves
- Walking shoes
- Rain coat / Poncho
- Insect repellent
- Camera (camera fee excluded)
- Personal toiletries